Saturday, January 24, 2009

Are You Tying Your Shoes Correctly?

I loved that my husband always tied his shoes with two loops. I've always thought of it as the wrong way since, it is not the way I tie my shoes. Come to find out, we were both wrong; I have been tying my laces incorrectly my entire life and you may be as well!

I did not realize that the way your tie your knot determines whether your laces will slightly loosen or stay tight as you move around. The difference is in the type of knot. The "reef" knot keeps your laces tight. They will not loosen up while you run. The granny knot looks lopsided and allows your laces to loosen up while you run.

Tying my shoes with the reef knot has made a big difference. When I get to the gym, I no longer have to stop and tighten my laces before I get on the treadmill. My laces stay tight. I don't have to stop in the middle of a long run or walk. My feet feel better after exercise.

The first few times I tied the reef knot, I felt a little silly. It is kind of awkward pulling the loop through; I felt like a kindergartner!

Are you tying your shoes correctly? Check out this video on Runner's World that demonstrates how to tie a balanced, reef knot:
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-319--13001-0,00.html

Thanks to Brian's inquiry on Runner's World, we are both now tying our shoes with the reef knot!

No comments:

Post a Comment