Thursday, January 22, 2009

Last run before my first 5K!

Tonight was my last run before my first 5K. I had a really rough week or two. I was sick with the stomach flu and did not run or do any type of exercise for four days. On Sunday, when I ran my 3.5 miles, I had to stop and walk several times (breathing). I was happy to finish my 3.5--the longest run in my training cycle. Unfortunately, Sunday night I fell down three stairs and gained a great big contusion on my tush! Ouch! (My mother always told me not to wear my socks on the stairs....) This meant that Monday's cross-train did not happen either. Lucky for me, I managed to run 3 miles Tuesday night on the treadmill. I went for overall time rather than distance and ran a comfortable pace for most of the run. Wednesday, I was in the ER for half the day for something unrelated. I made myself walk two miles that night. Tonight I ran 3.15 miles with only a few short, brisk walks. I ran up the hills and walked down the large one to give my knees a break. My husband and partner told me I kept a good pace and that he would not have wanted to run any faster! That makes me feel great. In four weeks I have tripled the distance in my runs; and while 3 miles is nothing to many runners, it is quite an achievement for me. Maybe, I'll keep trying this running thing for a while...

No comments:

Post a Comment