Saturday, January 24, 2009

Tomorrow's Run, Tonight's Thoughts

Tomorrow is my first race-run! Brian and I are running in TLC's Groundhog Day Run. When we started our 5-week 5K training, we realized it was 4 weeks away. Since the training didn't seem too difficult, last week we skipped "week 3" and ran the week 4 schedule.

I'm really excited for tomorrow, but I'm not quite sure what to expect. The run is inside, in KC's underground metropolis, caves that serve as storage and other things for local businesses. Hopefully there aren't too many hills--I will do my best not to walk. My goal is to finish and I know I can do that.

What makes me most excited is what I am running for. The proceeds benefit TLC, a program for children with disabilities. Throughout college, I worked as a para-educator with a wide variety of disabled youth. Right now I work with adults with disabilities. On my first run, I'm running for something I'm passionate about. In fact, one of the children I'm currently baby-sitting for used to attend TLC.

Here is TLC's mission statement:
"The mission of Children’s TLC is to provide therapeutic and educational services for children with disabilities in an environment which fosters their independence and celebrates their successes. Children's TLC currently serves more than 500 students in the greater Kansas City area, including Wyandotte County."

While it is too late to register for this year's run, this is definitely one that you should check out in the future. There is a 5K and a 10K and this year's registration was only $30. Maybe next year I'll be able to run the 10K!

Here is a link to information about the run:
http://www.active.com/page/Event_Details.htm?event_id=1642858&assetId=d9a27bc6-b5ff-42d2-8337-02710a90062f

Here is a link to TLC's Website:
http://www.childrenstlc.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment